Gwendoline Didier: "My dream is not just a dream"
Date of birth: 10.03.1986
Place of birth: Enghien Les Bains
Height: 159 cm
Home town: Sannois
Hobbies: drawing, dancing, writing, reading
Start sk. / Club: 1991 / Club Olympique de Courbevoie
Coach: Patrice Paillares
Choreographer: Stanick Jeannette, Salome Brunner
VLAD: Hi Gwendoline! I’m glad you’ve found time for the interview for our edition.
GWENDOLINE: Thank you!
- Gwendoline,when did you feel first time you want to be a figure skater?
- My first story with figure skating skate , it’s a funny story. When I was young ( 4 years) , I moved so much. My school teacher asked to my mom . « is it possible Gwendoline play sports please !!! » so after this discussion I’d try gymnastic and others sports but…. One day, I saw one advertising on television, for French cheese, where two skaters sink through the ice. I said to my parents that I want to do this sports…
- What was the most difficult in learning figure skating basics for you?
- I think that the most difficult in the learning of figure skating basics is a jump… So many hours to fall before to succeed. But the other figure are here after hard like spins and turns according to the new judging system.
- How difficult is it for you to balance a family with skating?
- I believe that the most difficult for the balance between family and skating is a good organization. My life divide up with university, Friends and my family . Since the season begin, I live alone in my flat but I come back in family home for the weekend. But to see my friend is so hard . I wait the end of season…
- How many hours per week do you train?
- I practising all days 4 hours. Three on ice and one off-ice for running, jumping, théâtre, dance… but no Sunday it’s my day off.
- You are one of the very good French skaters. Is it because of your hard work on the trainings?
- Yes,I practice so hard because I like to think that my dream is not just a dream.
- What competition are still memorized in your career?
- I think that my favorite competition and stay in my memory is the 2009 Winter Universiade in Harbin, China. I made a good competition. I finished 6th by notably a good free program (the level was very good and I had to increase mine, to reach the same score in this part of the competition as Kiira Korpi which was a pride for me. Kiira is one of my favourite skater and in plus a good person). But it’s not the only reason. The team who came with us was so good, funny and with real sports spirit . Those people gave us confidence and the fighting spirit necessary for this competition. They’re from the French University Federation.
- The history of figure skating has a lot of great skaters. Who is your favorite?
- My favorite skaters are those who gave something different skating like Philippe Candeloro with his characters, Surya Bonaly with her personality, Katarina Witt and of course Sasha Cohen, she’s so beautiful.
- Figure skating brings you to so many places across the world, do you have a favorite?
- I love Paris , it’s one of the most beautifull city in the world, I’m so lucky to live here. But when i was a junior skater, I went in Canada for a Junior Grand Prix, and I fall in love with Montreal… one day I think I will live in this town.
- Gwendoline,Thank you very much for taking out the time to answer questions!
- Thank you for your interest!