Meryl Davis and Charlie White win another Skate America title
World champions in ice dance Meryl Davis and Charlie White picked up where they left off last season – at the top of the podium. They won another competitive event last night at the Skate America 2011.
The Americans performed an impressive and beautiful routine to win the Skate America’s title, following up the Worlds they claimed in Moscow. They repeated their last year’s success at the American Grand Prix stage.
Meryl in a sparkling purple dress and Charlie in black tails floated over the ice to classical music Die Fledermaus by Johann Strauss and they were rewarded with great standing ovations from the sparse crowd at the first Grand Prix meet of this skating season.
“We definitely felt the crowd behind us and that definitely makes a difference, especially when it’s your first time out there and you might be a little nervous,” Charlie White said.
The World champions totaled 178.07 points to win for the second consecutive year, beating French leaders Nathalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat by 21.78 points. The French team – he dressed as a pharaoh and she as a mummy in bandages – had 156.29 points.
Isabella Tobias, a former New York City Ballet member, and Deividas Stagniunas from Lithuania took the bronze medal with 132.58 points.
Author: Vladislav Luchianov
Skate America 2011 – All medalists
1. Meryl Davis / Charlie White (USA) 178.07
2. Nathalie Pechalat / Fabian Bourzat (FRA) 156.29
3. Isabella Tobias / Deividas Stagniunas (LTU) 132.58
1. Michal Brezina (CZE) 216.00
2. Kevin van der Perren (BEL) 212.48
3. Takahiko Kozuka (JPN) 212.09
1. Alissa Czisny (USA) 177.48
2. Carolina Kostner (ITA) 177.35
3. Viktoria Helgesson (SWE) 145.75
1. Aliona Savchenko / Robin Szolkowy (GER) 183.98
2. Dan Zhang / Hao Zhang (CHN) 178.66
3. Kirsten Moore-Towers / Dylan Moscovitch (CAN) 177.43