Plushenko wins Volvo Cup, confirms strong comeback
Russia’s Evgeni Plushenko has confirmed his comeback to the big sport by winning 2013 Volvo Cup yesterday.
An athlete, who spent nine months for the recovery, rose in Riga to the personal best score by the total amount of points – 263.25.
Free program, which Evgeni performed yesterday and which is called “The Best of Plushenko”, left no chance to competitors. There were high speed, great expressiveness and, of course, the high technical part.
Plushenko showed a complete set of complex technical elements: a quadruple toe loop, a triple Axel, an Axel in a cascade and very good spins. The skater and his coach, Alexei Mishin, are satisfied with the work done.
“I am very pleased with my quad and with the whole complex program, which I skated today, and most importantly – I am very happy that I was not tired. Most important thing is that the last step sequences I skated with a smile and emotionally.” Evgeni Plushenko said Channel One.
“I think Evgeni had never skated before with such level of expression, with such maturity of gesture and with such artistic vision of the world.” Alexei Mishin noted.
Russia has only one men’s singles spot for the upcoming Sochi Olympics, which many believed would go to Plushenko should he be healthy enough. His score officially makes him eligible for the Olympics, which have international guidelines that skaters must follow.
Alexander Petrov (218.75) and Sergey Borodulin (202.40), both Russia, won the silver and bronze respectively.
Evgeni Plushenko’s free skating program consists of several musical fragments of his best past programs arranged By Edvin Marton and includes:
- St.Petersburg 300 (FS 2002/03, soundtrack “Criminal St. Petersburg” by Igor Korniliuk);
- The Godfather (FS 2004/05 & 2005/06 seasons, soundtrack by Nino Rota);
- Tribute to Nijinsky (FS 2003/04, “Scheherazade” symphonic suite by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov);
- Tango Roxanne (FS 2011/12, soundtrack “Moulin Rouge!” by Mariano Mores);
- Tosca Fantasy (SP/EX 2005/06, “E lucevan le stelle” aria from opera “Tosca” by Giacomo Puccini);
- Adagio (SP 2002/03, “Adagio in G minor” by Tomaso Albinoni).
Volvo Cup 2013 – Evgeni Plushenko, FS